Monday, January 28, 2013

Mermaid Musings for a snowy day

saimmasimaniq

"Peace" in the Inuktitut language,
spoken in Canada

seed bead woven amulet necklace
found on etsy

It is snowing outside right now, and the sky is dark.
Dark early, for late January.
It is a wet snow, which is good as we need moisture for the summer.
That's how the Rocky Mountain foothills get their water -
from melting snow high up in the mountains.

But today I want to talk about mermaid mountains!

"Oceanidi sirens", painter unknown

Really, anything mermaid!!
Just sharing one of my favorite subjects with you...


"Don't grow up too quickly,
Lest you forget 
how much you love the beach."

- Michelle Held

I believe this might be a Disney design..but I don't know.

'Tatiana', a Cancun 'mermaid'

Mermaids can be so whimsical:

'Little mermaid' brooch, mixed media from
www.miopupazzo.etsy.com

(I have ordered a custom mermaid from this shop,
and she does excellent work!)

mermaids can be elegant:

'sea faerie', www.gingerkellydesigns.etsy.com

and mermaids can be adorable! -

a mermaid birthday card, www.PugBugCards.etsy.com

I
'Who would be a mermaid fair,
Singing alone, combing her hair,
Under the sea, in a golden curl,
With a comb of pearl,
On a throne?...'

- Sir Alfred Lord Tennyson

http//welcometo/pen&pencil.com

II
'I would be a mermaid fair.
I would sing to myself the whole day;
With a comb of pearl I would comb my hair;
And still as I comb'd I would sing and say,
'"Who is it loves me? who loves me not?..."

vintage art

vintage song sheet cover, from the 1800's


'I would comb my hair till my ringlets would fall
Low adown, and around;
And I should look like a fountain of gold
Springing alone
With a shrill inner sound,
Over the throne
In the midst of the hall;...'

painting by Isa Marie "In Queen's Bath"

www.ArtByDebra.etsy.com

'Till that great sea-snake under the sea
From his coiled sleeps in the central deeps
Would slowly trail himself sevenfold
Round the hall where I sate, and look in at the gate
With his large calm eyes for the love of me.'

vintage Hair tonic ad, with  mermaids

'Ocean Treasures jewelry' original Collage Art Doll by inkspired
using all recycled junk mail
www.collagepaperpainting.etsy.com


'And all the mermen under the sea
Would feel their immortality
Die in their hearts for the love of me.'

- Alfred Lord Tennyson


'mermaid by AdoC ' - that's all the info I have.
If you know more, please let me know.

I trust you have enjoyed my mermaids today,
and even had some fun reading poetry!
'Til next time....

inkspired
www.inkspired.etsy.com
www.collagepaperpainting.etsy.com
I'm on pinterest too! - K.Kloberdans


vintage mermaid, courtesy of Dover

No comments:

Post a Comment