Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Turkish paperdolls, Kurdish costumes and a watercolor pen tutorial

Hasiti

Peace in Kurdish
spoken in Turkey and Iraq

at a traditional Kurdish wedding, learning how to do the line dance

I had my first viewers from Turkey in 2012 -
(at least that I know of)
Welcome!

Woman in traditional Kurdish clothing

I have this other blog all about my adventures today (and it is only 2:00in the afternoon so you know it started out early!). However, after finding some pix on Google, my back is now telling me
I BETTER NOT SIT AT THE COMPUTER any longer!!
My back -
She who must be obeyed....

So, let's have fun with some Turkish paper dolls and call it a day.

Here is a set called Turkey Princess. It has both colored costumes, and black and white ones for you to color.
Be creative!
Get out those crayola crayons out (and buy yourself a new box if you haven't done that in awhile. Nothing like the smell of a freshly opened box of crayons...)
Get your gel pens, milky gel pens, glitter gel pens and any other kind of pen with colors!

Print the sheets out on a thin watercolor paper, and you can use your watercolor pencils or just a simple box of cakes. Both work really well.
If you have never seen a water pen, go investigate. It is one of this decade's best inventions for the artist. The barrel of the pen holds water. The tip is a brush, and comes in a couple of different sizes. You slightly squeeze the barrel, enough for the bristles to get moist. Paint away as you would with a regular brush and cakes. Clean up is a dry rag (I personally like old white athletic socks because of the ribs). You squeeze more water out of the tip through the bristles until it runs clear (takes just a couple of drops really) and you're done!
Go on to the next color.
PERFECT take along activity for kids, waiting lines at the doctor's, or just an afternoon of creativity.
I want to say they are called 'ninja' pens, but don't take my word for it!!!





Thanks (I'm pretty sure) to origamibears for sharing!

I haven't shared Vintage Song Sheet covers in awhile, so here are 2:

c. 1901, copyright free as far as I know


c.1912, copyright free as far as I know

I should have more fun tomorrow!
Well, at least fun that I'll blog about!
:0)

inkspired

(definitely a work in progress at the moment)

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I just wanted to say that that paper doll is Russian, not Turkish or Kurdish. I ought to know because I am Turkish woman from Turkey. It is odd that no one has noticed for five years. :)

    ReplyDelete