Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fairies, Quotes, Costumes, Free paper dolls and Bead Pattern!


"Auld Daddy Darkness creeps frae his hole,
Black as a blackmoor,
Blin' as a mole."

- James Farguson

beading pattern for peyote stitch or brick stitch

Welcome!
I'm happy you have visited today!
I am still having fun with Halloween costumes,
free paper dolls with lots of clothes,
beading patterns,
fun vintage Halloween verse
and a pretty photo thrown in every now and then!


"Pixie, kobold, elf and sprite,
All are on their rounds tonight.
In the wan moon's silver ray,
Thrives their helter-skelter play."

- Joel Benton


In college I took a night class about Fictional Literature. The professor wanted us to all dress up as our favorite Fictional character. Well, I was not the most wealthy person at college, but I could sure compete with the rest of us that had no money!!  So I needed to come up with a character that I could adapt something
I already owned to make the costume.
I came up with Tree Sprites, loosely based on J.R.R.Tolkien literature.
I had a long dress that I wore to fancy things. It was this lovely shade of green, with simple lines, no sleeves and no fussiness. It had wonderful tiny pleats all down the skirt of it. I went about coloring and cutting out a bunch of silvery green leaves, then I safety pinned them all over the dress. I used a grey/green/silver eye shadow and covered my face, some chest and lightly on my arms.
Voila! A Tree Sprite!

fairy paper doll

I showed up to class about 1 minute late, but of course as fate would have it, everyone else was there and seated and the prof had just started to talk.
I sat down. I casually glanced around out of the corner of my eye to see what others had dressed as.

They weren't. I was the only one.

The prof made some snide remark about "I guess you didn't get the message,
we decided not to dress up."
Yeah, I got the message NOW,
sitting in my Tree Sprite sparkly silver and green Glory.

Funny thing. I lived in the dorm, so would have gotten any messages posted there. I knew several of the people in the class well. My dorm phone number was on the class roster, along with everyone else's. I also knew that the prof had a serious dislike/jealousy of my dad, another prof at the same college.
Coincidence?
No, I never thought so. I think I knew even before the end of the class.
How petty a supposedly mature man was being at my expense.
Hmmmmffff.
Never told Dad about it.

c. unknown



vintage 'Sassie' paperdoll with some of her clothes.

Here are some paper doll clothes (and costume inspirations)
from Liana's 'Paper Boutique':


gypsy

from "My Fair Lady"

This is a recipe that I enjoy making. They don't last long,
as they have been all eaten...

 
CHEESE BUTTONS
Better Homes and Gardens ‘Old-Fashioned’ Home Baking c.1990
Nonstick spray coating or 2 tsp shortening
1 egg
½ Cup milk
¼ Cup finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
        Or cheddar cheese
        Or 2 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
½ Cup flour

>Spray eighteen 1 ¾” muffin cups with the nonstick coating spray
        Or grease with shortening; set aside
>In a medium bowl using a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat egg, milk and cheese together till well combined.
Add flour. Beat till well combined.
>Fill the prepared cups HALF full with the batter.
>Bake in a 400’ oven about 25 mins. Or till popovers are done.
Makes 18 mini popovers.
*These bite-size popovers taste great when served with a salad or soup, or as an appetizer.
Note: To FREEZE arrange them in a single layer and place in the freezer till firm. Then, place them in a freezer bag, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, place popovers on a shallow baking pan and heat in a 400’ oven for 5 – 6 mins.
Some pretty fairy ideas!

Ideas for you to make your own fairy wings!

Have a fairy dream day!

inkspired


No comments:

Post a Comment